As a first time mom (or even a seasoned mom), there are are so many things to juggle when preparing to have a new baby. The last thing you want to do is stress over what’s in your birth hospital bag. Preparing this bag before it’s go time can actually save you a a huge headache and ensures that you’re prepared whenever baby decides to make their arrival. Below I’ve provided a hospital bag checklist for mom and baby to help you decide on your hospital bag essentials and what to pack in your hospital bag for labor.
Don’t forget your everyday hygiene essentials. You’ll need them for the overnight stay in the hospital. No matter if you deliver vaginally or via caesarean, you’ll spend at least one night in recovery.
- Wash cloth / sponge / loofa
- Perfume (if it’s your thing)
- Face Wash
- Comb and Brush
- Hair Ties
- Adult diapers (These things are so much better than the mesh undies and pads they provide)
Hospital robes are awkward. Take my advice, bring your own – along with a few other clothing items.
- A comfy robe
- A nursing bra (whether you plan to breast feed or not, these things are insanely comfortable)
- Going home outfit – I recommend a maxi dress if you’re a summer time mama and comfy leggings and a loose t-shirt for the other seasons. Throw on a coat if necessary.
- Shoes to go home in
- Slippers to walk around the room in (or yoga socks which have grips on the bottoms)
- Going home outfit for baby – including socks and a hat
There are a few key items you don’t want to forget.
- Wallet / Identification
- Insurance cards
- Birth plan
- Phone charger
- Bluetooth speaker for music
- Pillows for you and your significant other
- Blanket for your significant other – the kind that the hospital provides are thin
- Nipple cream
- Some form of entertainment – you never know how long this process will take
- Be sure to have your baby’s car seat already installed in your vehicle
Sweet Souls Portrait Design specializes in maternity and newborn portraits. We offer studio newborn, outdoor maternity and limited outdoor family sessions in Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas. Contact us for more information or booking!